Monday, January 23, 2012

cocoa chanel (pt.1)

Black History Month is right around the corner and while looking for interesting people to feature and discuss at my job, I found myself researching designers and models who are currently or have made waves in the fashion industry. Since I've found (and continue to find) so many interesting people, I'll make this an on-going series throughout the month of February. 


First up: Liya Kebede


The reasons I love her: First of all the woman was born in 1978, making her 5 years older than me and I have to say, she might be the epitome of the phrase "Black don't crack". She was born and raised in Addis Abba, Ethiopia and went to France to pursue modeling after being discovered by an agent while in high school. 


She's distinguished herself in the fashion world, doing major shows for Gucci and appearing on countless magazine covers. She was also the face of Estée Lauder in 2003, making her the first Ethiopian model to serve as their representative. She was also featured on the cover of Vogue Italia's groundbreaking "all-Black" issue. And J. Crew featured her as the sole model in their April 2009 catalog. 


Finally, she's a goodwill ambassador focusing on issues of maternal and child health in developing nations. Her own line of clothing Lemlem (Amharic for "to bloom") features local Ethipian artisans work in order to preserve the traditional styles of weaving of her country. 

 Kebede is a outstanding example of social entrepreneurship and her clothes are both beautiful and serve a greater purpose (even if they are out of my price range). 




She's also an actress and philanthropist. This woman embodies grace, poise and style. 


For more info visit: www.liyakebede.com


No comments:

Post a Comment